Monday, October 29, 2007

Russ

As I was posting in this blog earlier today, I started thinking of my dad. All us kids called him Russ from the get go even though he was our real dad. Russ died on April 15 in 1984.

My dad use to write in a journal every day. When I go back and read his daily postings, it seems he was only here with us yesterday. His postings were usually only a couple of sentences long. Like, “It snowed six inches today" or” Vicky called and her and Randall are coming in this weekend". His posts were short and to the point but when you read them around certain dates, you can go back and remember those times. He had one post, which I laugh at today but I don't think I was laughing then, where mom had given me a couch and we somehow had to get said couch back to Va Beach. The trip took us five hours but my crazy husband had it strapped to the roof of his old Dodge and expected me to ride all the way with that damn thing tied on top! My dad wrote about what a fit I threw and needless to say, the couch didn't go back with us.

I miss Russ. I'm so glad we have his journals.

No comments: